Dallas

 

Associated Chapels: Kellas.

OS Ref: NJ 122519    RCAHMS No: NJ15SW 4

It is from this simple township that the modern Dallas in the United States gets its name, it being founded by immigrant Scots who traced their origins to this quiet part of Morayshire.

The present parish church {NJ 1217 518} was built in 1793 and is typical of its time. But it stands on the site of St Michael's Church (Dolas Michael), a heather-thatched building first mentioned in 1226. This much older church was repaired in 1580, but fell into ruin. The foundations of this older church are supposed to lie in the churchyard, some yards to the east, nearer the River Lossie, of the present church. After the creation of the position of Sub-Dean within the chapter in 1226, Dallas, along with the altarage of Auldearn, became the prebend of this official of the cathedral.

In later times (some time before 1601) the church of Altyre was attached to Dallas but it was separated again from it in 1657, Kellas then being attached to Dallas.

 

The present Parish Church of St Michael,  Dallas.

 

Nearby the church, as was often the case, lay a Holy Well - St Michael's Well. Its site is believed to have been covered over when a new bridge was constructed over the river.

In medieval times Michael's Fair was held within the churchyard and a well-preserved market cross of this era lies just to the south of the church.

Birnie Church

Medieval market cross in the churchyard.

This is still a tranquil part of the province and a much frequented spot for picnics and barbeques at a spot just across the road from the church where the Lossie flows like liquid amber.

A little to the north of the village lie the remains of Tor Castle, a former stronghold of the Comyn family and allegedly built in 1400 by a Sir Thomas thereof of Altyre. The lands of Dallas were long part of the Gordonstoun estate

 

"A rude, undressed, boulder, possibly the remains of a stone circle, which stands on the east side of the parish, is said to mark the site of an old church or a burial place." (In saying this, Shaw may be directing our attention to the chapel site at Kellas.

The "Chapel Stane" at Kellas. The old chapel of Kellas is thought to have stood on the mound where the War Memorial now stands.

The ancient lineage of this area is well attested to by some very old place-names: Bogmussach; Benshalag; Bednawinny; Eass of Auchness, Hill of the Wangie.

 

 

Return to top of page

Home

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises