OS Ref: NG 714458 RCAHMS No: NG74NW 7
The church of Ardersier would, at first sight, seem to have been in the territory governed by the Bishops of Moray, but it was in fact in the Diocese of Ross. This followed upon an agreement between the bishops.
The church stood on the carse near the botom of the sea-terrace, where its cemetery may still be seen. It was rebuilt with 'clay' in 1766, and about 1790 was ruinous.
The Knights Templar had lands in this parish. The preceptory, the ruins of which remained at the beginning of the 19th-Century, stood at Dalyards.
Ardersier was the main crossing point of the Firth for pilgrims on their journey to Tain. The ferry was controlled by the Bishops of Ross and would have provided a substantial income. In 1508, James IV crossed using the Ferry of Ardersier on his way to Tain, on which occasion he paid 13 shillings to the 'feryaris'.
In 1255/6 this church was re-assigned to the dean of Ross with whom it continued, both pars. and vic. revenues being apparently thus annexed.
Return to top of page
Return to Medieval Ages Menu
© 2006 Cushnie Enterprises