THE PARISHES OF ROSS.

The extent of the diocese of Ross always corresponded to the lands of the Earldom of Ross even when that earldom was extended on the accession of Ferchar Mac-in-tagart, c1220, by the addition of North Argyll and its associated churches (parishes) of Kintail, Lochalsh, Lochcarron, Applecross, Gairloch and Lochbroom.

The division into 'parishes' must have been roughly contemporary with the organisation of the Bishopric of Ross, c1128, although individual churches existed long before this time - it was the parish boundaries that were decided at this time.

The early Diocese consisted of the following benefices, all contained within one Deanery:

Arderseir   Dean
Kintail St Duthac Dean & Chapter
Lochalsh St Congan Dean & Chapter
Lochcarron St Maelrubhe Dean & Chapter
Applecross St Maelrubhe Dean & Chapter
Gairloch St Maelrubhe Dean & Chapter
Lochbrrom Six churches furnishing the commune Dean & Chapter
Kincardine St Columba Sub-dean
Eddertoun   Sub-dean
Tain St Duthac Sub-dean
Tarbat St Colman Fearn Abbey
Nigg St Fiacre Prebend
Kilmuir, Easter St Mary Prebend
Logie Easter   Prebend
Roskeen St Ninian Sub-dean
Alness St Mary Sub-dean
Kiltearn St Tighernac Prebend. Paisley Abbey
Lumlair St Mary Prebend
Dingwall St Colin Pluscarden Priory
Fodderty Archdeacon
Kinnettes St John the Baptist Chancellor
Contin St Maelrubhe Prebend
Kilmorack St Moroc Precentor
Urray (Brahan) St Constantine Succentor
Kilchrist (Ord) St Saviour  
Killearnan (Eddyrdor) St Iturnan  
Kilmuir Wester St Mary Dean
Suddy St Duthac Prebend
Avoch Chapel in the Castle Prebend. Kinloss Abbey (1255)
Logie Wester St Bride Treasurer
Urquhart St Mary Treasurer
Cullicudden St Martin/St Michael Sub-dean
Kirkmichael St Michael Prebend
Cromartie St Moluag Dean/Treasurer/Chancellor/Precentor
Rosmarky St Moluag Dean/Treasurer/Chancellor/Precentor
 
This page was last updated on: 08 January 2006
Return to top of Page

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises