Associated Chapels: None known.
OS Ref: NH 772342 RCAHMS No: NH 73SE 6.00
Moy was a prebend of the Cathedral having been created by Bishop Andrew de Moravia at the time of his new foundation at Elgin when the size of the Chapter was increased.
The present church of Moy was built in 1765, it is believed on the site of a pre-Reformation church on the west bank of Loch Moy. It was much repaired in 1829. This parish is not to be confused with Moy, near Forres, which in time became united with the parish of Dyke and was in Elgin Deanery.
The present church of Moy looking north east.
Looking north west.
The lands of Moy originally belonged to the Bishop of Moray but, for centuries have been in the hands of the Chief of McIntosh. It was one of these chiefs who built Moy Castle in the middle of the loch as a secure retreat.
From early days Moy was united with the church of Dalarossie.
Return to top of page
© 2005 Cushnie Enterprises