Llanbryde.

 

Associated Chapels: (None known.)

OS Ref: NJ 271613   RCAHMS No: NJ26SE 10

In Bishop Bricius' great foundation charter of the canonries at Spynie (1208-15), mention is made of the assignation of the "chantors of Lamnabride" with a davoch of land. This indicates that the church here is, indeed, ancient and this is supported by the traditional 'dedication' to St Bride, one of the most popular of the Celtic saints.

Llanbryde was, from its very earliest days, part of the prebend of the Precentor of the Cathedral, the parsonage and vicarage being asigned, and the church seems to have been served by a vicar pensioner. Virtually nothing remains of the fabric of the medieval church. However, within a burial enclosure, there is a superb recumbent effigy of a knight in armour which is presumed to be that of one of the family of Innes.

In the south end of the parish is Pitnaseir (Pittensair {NJ282607}) a part of the lands of the preceptory of the Maison Dieu in Elgin.

 

The churchyard showing the Innes burial enclosure.

Effigy of a knight in armour inside.

 

 

 

Return to top of page

Home

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises