Kintarlity

Associated Chapels: None known.

OS Ref: NH 498439    RCAHMS No: NH44SE 1

Nestling in the crook of a bend in the River Beauly lie the remains of the16th Century St Thalargus' church. St Talarican was a Celtic missionary who died in 616 AD. Of old, this church was also known as the Lovat Kirk and the nearby village of Kiltarlity as Aultfearn.

Over the fields rise the magnificent ramparts of Beaufort Castle for long the seat of the Frasers of Lovat (Lord Lovat). The church is first mentioned in 1227. The parish was formed from a part of Convinth parish. Further up the Glen is Erchless Castle, the seat of 'the Chisholm of Chisholm' chief of the name and family of Chisholm.

Remains of 16th Century church.

Beaufort Castle in the trees to the right of the church.

 

View of the south-facing facade.

Inside looking east.

The church is built of random masonry roughly coursed with rubble in-filling bonded with lime mortar, and measures 17.6m by 7.0m within a wall 0.9m thick. The gables stand to roof height, and are identical, each with two windows one above the other. The side walls stand to a maximum of c.2.5m. There are two entrances on the S. side. The interior is occupied by burial monuments.

The graveyard is still in use and the whole site is well kept. Fishing abounds on the section river which passes the old church.

 

 

Return to top of page

Home

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises