Gartly.

 

Associated Chapels: Braes; Edendyny; Kirkney; St Finan's.

OS Ref: NJ 528350   RCAHMS No: NJ53NW 15

Sometimes known as Grandtully, the church of Gartly was dedicated to St Bean (later to St Andrew) and was, in medieval times, a part of the episcopal mensa.

The present church was built in 1621 and is at present (November 2005) for sale. There was a Fedraught or Crichton Aisle entered from the nave and it was supposedly a burial place of the House of Huntly. The church has frequently been repaired and no trace can now be found of the Aisle. Of the 1621 church, all that remains is the birdcage bell-tower and some foundation rubble.

 

Gartly Church

The present church.

The sites of chapels are still pointed out in the Braes at Heathery Hillock, Brawlinknowes (Mooral House), Kirkney, and St Finan's Chapel and well at Tillythrowie.

Nothing is known of the chapel at Braes.

The 'Chapel of Edendyny' {NJ 508371; NJ53NW 4}, known in 1232 as Edendiack, afterwards known as Muiralehouse (Mooral House) and still later 'Chapel of Bralanknowes', was removed in 1847. The graveyard is said to have been used up to at least 1780. No trace now remains of this chapel. The farm of Edendiack still lies to the north-east of Brawlandknowes.

A turf-covered mound still marks the site of the chapel at Kirkney {NJ 515332;NJ53SW 12} about which nothing else is known.

At Tillathrowie {NJ471345; NJ43NE 1} stood St Finan's Chapel and holy well.  The graveyard around the well is known as Chapel Yard and here, in 1867, bones were found during trenching operations. The well is still known but there is no trace of the Chapel or its graveyard. The stream which flows down the glen is known as the 'Priest's Water'.

 

 

Return to top of page

Home

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises