Farnua.

Associated Chapels: None known.

OS Ref: NH 605452    RCAHMS No: NH64NW 8

The parish church of St Mary, Farnua, (Farnaway, Fearnaie) stood at Kirkton, Bunchrew, where there are still some remains of the churchyard. This graveyard was originally much larger than the present enclosure and many skeletons have been found over the years beyond the wall. There is a fragment of the old church incorporated into the present wall - possibly part of the old east gable.

 

The enclosure looking north.

The view to the north-east with a somewhat unfriendly dog outside the gate!

 

An interesting memorial beside the gate showing two crossed spoons.

This parish was united to that of Wardlaw in 1618 to form the new parish of Kirkhill.

 

 

Return to top of page

Home

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises