Associated Chapels: none known.

OS Ref: NJ 279443   RCAHMS No: NJ24SE 10

Sometimes also called the church of Macallan, the churchyard lies within the most spiritual grounds in the whole province - what are now the policies of the world famous distillery that produces "The Macallan" single malt whisky, considered by many to be the best there is. (We consider Cragganmore and Tamdhu to be equals but it is all a matter of taste!) Elchies House is now used as a conference centre and may be hired by the general public.

Traditionally considered to have been dedicated to St Colin there is reason here for a little imagination on the part of the student - St Colm?

All that remains of the ancient church is its graveyard which seems still to be in use and is certainly, like all the grounds about it, beautifully maintained.

The exact age of this establishment remains to be something of a mystery and it is even confused by some writers with the church of Knockando. It is possible that Elchies was, originally a dependant chapel which, only later, became a parish church in its own right. If anyone has 'local' knowledge we would be grateful for any assistance here! However, what is certain is that it was, with Botary, created as a prebend of the cathedral by Andrew de Moravia sometime around 1226. It was a part of the Deanery of Strathbogie.


The site of the old church looking back towards the bonded warehouses of the distillery.



Return to top of page


e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises