Chapel within the Parish of: Inveraven.
OS Ref: NJ 195300 RCAHMS No: NJ12NE 1
The Chapel of Dounan, dedicated to St Brigid, was still visible in 1794 set within its graveyard, however the building had been destroyed by 1869 and there is now no trace to be seen. The graveyard still exists and has been extended in recent times. There is a tradition that there was a cross-incised stone here at one time, marking the graves of some of those killed at the Battle of Glenlivet, fought near here in 1594.
|View of the older part of the graveyard at Dounan.|
Return to top of page
© 2005 Cushnie Enterprises