Arndilly.

Associated Chapels: Gauldwell Castle, Boharm.

OS Ref: NJ 291471   RCAHMS No: NJ24NE 1

In the Deanery of Strathbogie, the ancient church of Arndilly (Ardintullie, Artyldole, Artendol) stood where Arndilly House now stands above the eastern bank of the River Spey. A symbol stone shows the ancient connections of this site which may have been one of the earliest churches in the district.

Arndilly House stands on the site of the old church.

There was a chapel in the Castle of Gauldwell which served as the parish church up to 1618. The castle was built c.1200 by Freskin de Moravia (the family that built Duffus Castle). Mary Queen of Scots stayed here in 1562 during her expedition against the Gordons. It, like Duffus, was one of the earliest stone castles in the north-east.

Looking south over the site of Gauldwell Castle amongst the trees in the middle ground.

In 1618 a new parish church was built - the date coming from a bell, founded in Elgin, which for long hung in the tower. This is what is now known as the church of Boharm.

The remains of the 1618 church of Boharm. Memorial in the churchyard.

 

 

Return to top of page

Home

e-mail: admin@cushnieent.force9.co.uk

2005  Cushnie Enterprises