Collegiate Church of St Salvator.
The College of St Salvator was founded and endowed in 1456-8 by the then Bishop of St Andrews, James Kennedy. This bishop was distinguished for his liberal gifts to the church. He also founded and endowed a Franciscan Monastery in St Andrews.
|St Salvator's Collegiate Church|
Bishop Kennedy was buried in a fabulously ornate tomb within the Collegiate Church set into the north wall close to the apse. According to tradition six splendid silver maces were found within the tomb, one of which is preserved in the college (now a part of the University), and the others were distributed amongst the other Scottish universities. However, recently this tradition has been proved to be untrue. Three are still to be found within the university and that of St Salvator's was made in Paris, by John Maiel, in the year 1461.