St Bothan's Collegiate Church.
In the ancient Taxation (1176) the Ecclesia de Bothani was rated at 30 merks, and it is again referred to in Bagimont's Roll (1275) as the Praepositura de Bothans, and is rated at £40. The territory of Yester was from the twelfth century in the possession of the family of Gifford, and in 1418 it passed, by mariage, into the possession of Sir William Hay of Locherwart.
In 1421 Sir William founded the Collegiate Church of St. Bothan for a provost, six prebendaries, and two singing boys. And he and his successors endowed it with sufficient revenues.
|St Bothans looking northwards from the south aisle.||Plan of St Bothans.|
Return to top of page
© 2005 Cushnie Enterprises